Archive for the ‘EDC News’ Category
Every year EDC Polska invites young people to have their internships in the office. Since the 2001 EDC have hosted almost 1000 interns from all around the Poland as well as the world. Only in 2012 we do expect to have more than a 100 interns to be a part of our team at EDC. We do believe that this is the best way both for the future employees as well as company to get to know each other. When company looks at the hiring statistics we have hired almost 40% of those engineers – which show that this is the most effective way to get to know with each other and enables EDC to choose the right people for positions we do have to staff.
All of the interns are being treated the same way as the regular employees, initially one has to send a CV to our recruiting e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org and later on she or he has to go through the interview process, the same as all candidates are going through. Having set the same standards for everybody enables our company to give the candidates flavor of how company works since the beginning.
We have talked to some of our recent interns to get their feedback on internship and below you will find some comments coming directly from them.
What have you liked about your internship:
- The strongest point is treating students as a normal worker. It gives satisfaction (if you can challenge and solve some real problem) and what is very important – students do not feel that they are useless. During practice we are able to use and learn the most modern tools using in aerospace industry. Salary is also a good point!
- It gives a possibility to see from inside, how the big, international, professional company work and allow to learn interesting and valuable things through the cooperation with good engineers.
- Ambitious projects, friendly atmosphere, opportunity to self-improvement
Why you have decided to apply for this internship
- Because I wanted to learn modern engineering tools and see how engineer job looks in big, multinational company.
- GE is one of the biggest companies in the world, so having internship in one of its department is useful and valuable.
- Because base of EDC existence is cooperation with GE which is a well-known, professional company working in the industry sector which is interesting for me (power generation, flow machines)
- Because of the opportunity to work with the most advanced technologies.
If you had a chance to apply again would you decide to come again ?
- Yes, if I could I would do exactly the same because even it’s been three weeks I’m still excited about my work and people working here and helping me by teaching with this great patience
- Yes, especially to the same team. I guess that in Warsaw there is no more companies, which would meet my requirements about internships. I would change EDC only If I had possibility to go abroad.
- Yes. EDC company provides me a lot of experience in things I’m interested in. Moreover I feel important, cause my work influences on my team’s work.
- Yes. I came back this year for internship again. I think that the practices at EDC, because of the complexity of problems, are more interesting than at other places.
We are looking forward to have you at EDC as our intern – send you CV in English to email@example.com
On 8th EDC volunteers took a part in Air show at Bemowo Airport in Warsaw. It was a big feast for funs of aviation and their families. EDC employees have organized a stand where everybody, who is interested in engineering or aviation, could talk about daily work in Engineering Design Center. The visitors could also see the huge CFM engine (which weight is 2,5t!) and ask our experts about design of jet’s parts, service, turbines working etc.
EDC volunteers wanted to encourage young people to study at technical universities, to tell them about duties of engineers and show them that implementation of passion at work is possible.
Off-site EDC Managers Event 2012 merged business training and volunteering activities. On 6th September over 40 people went to Public Primary School in Mniszek to improve sport facilities, fix and install some sport equipment and popularize healthy life style among young students.
They worked really hard. The engineers managed to build a runway with a sand pit for a long jump, marked lines on football and volleyball fields, install basketball board, fix hangers in locker room and Ping-Pong table, build benches, painted bicycle racks and football gates and renovate some sport facilities on the playground. They also cleaned school yard and cut some trees to make this space safer and more familiar for kids. At the end of the day EDC young football players won the first EDC Tournament and got new sport equipment.
For the engineers it was a great opportunity to help and integrate into local community.
This year EDC takes part in Poland wide initiative called „Salon Maturzystow 2012″ – which promotes University Education among young people. Students from the last year of high school, have the opportunity to meet and talk to various representatives of best Polish Universities as well as companies.
On September 13/14 GE will be present at Warsaw University of Technology where the event takes place. Team of HR and managers will be talking to young potential University candidates, to convince them that being well – educated these days is something they need to consider.
More details can be found on the Webpage (in Polish) – http://www.salonmaturzystow.pl/2012/